Last Christmas my now 8 year old daughter asked for a cookbook. I thought that one, it was going to be more work for me, and two, that she was going to make 2 recipes and be done with it. Boy was I wrong! The biggest payoff was my birthday a couple of months ago. My amazing hub and kids treated me to breakfast in bed: mimosas and this amazing apple and berries french toast bake! He said it was super easy to make. So now I am asking the same recipe for mother's day!
My lucky daughter also got a ring for Christmas. I don't know if you guys noticed her cute little hand over the cookbook wearing the adorable Mini Me Nesting Wrap Ring? It is slightly thinner than the regular Nesting Wrap Ring, so it is super comfy for little hands. Go check out both rings! They are the perfect mommy and me accessory for this Mother's Day!
Anyway, without further ado, here is the recipe:
Apple Cinnamon French Toast Bake
- 1 tbsp room temperature butter (plus some for greasing the baking dish)
- 8 slices of bread
- 1 medium apple
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups of milk
- 4 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup of berries of choice
- 1tbsp of powdered sugar (optional)
- Oil the pan and preheat oven to 350F
- Cut bread and apple into small cubes and spread evenly to cover bottom of the baking dish
- Measure and stir together the wet ingredients and brown sugar, and add to the dish.
- Stir it all together to coat the apples and bread.
- Bake for 45 minutes
- After cooled, cut into squares, top with the berries and sprinkle the powdered sugar.
- Not part of the recipe, but I love some whip cream on top!
The book is Kid Chef Junior, by Anjali Shah.
Let me know what you guys think!